Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Garlic Vegan "Chili Cheese Fries"



It is entirely possible to eat really terrible food and still be a vegan. Studies show that vegans live 11 years longer (on average) than an omnivore (vegetarians live 7 years longer), and have radically lower rates of obesity, coronary heart disease, cancer, and hypertension. However, Oreos are vegan, and those are not healthy. Also in the "I can't believe it's vegan" section (link below) there are Krispy Kreme fruit pies, most of Duncan Hines products, Jello Pudding, most semi-sweet and dark chocolates, potato chips, french fries (except from McDonalds, where everything is fried in beef fat), etc. So, it is TOTALLY possible to be a fat, unhealthy vegan.

I am very sensitive to my diet. If I eat something with too much salt (like olives) or any wheat gluten in it I wake up with a puffy puffy face and 10 lbs of water weight. If I eat something really processed, I usually sleep 12+ hours that night. I just do not tolerate a lot of foods. This may have to do with food allergies. I also am type A blood, which I hear is the most "intolerant" blood type to most foods and also to any form of stress. Who knows. Anyhow, these are my version of "unhealthy but still healthy garlic chili cheese fries". They are baked and most of the ingredients are minimally processed. :)

You can use the potatoes in the frozen section and just bake them, but you can also cut your own potatoes and soak them in water for about 10 minutes prior to putting them in the oven. This makes them soft inside and crispy outside. These then had the "god cheese" Daiya vegan cheese made from the Cassava (wild yam) root mixed with yummy red beans. The red beans were cooked with a can of rotel tomatoes, sauteed onions/green peppers/garlic/green chilies, and olive oil. Then, on the very very top was a garlic sauce made from garlic and cilantro chopped up very fine and sauteed with olive oil. We obviously applied hot sauce very liberally. The Daiya cheese, when prepared like this, is literally indistinguishable from a random cheddar cheese. Yum. Totally quenched my craving for something unhealthy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment